Saturday 27 November 2010

The factory


It's been quite a while since I've put anything on here, I've been so busy! trying to get my action figure finished. Here's what I've been getting upto...
 


Using my pieces made from scupey, I produced one piece moulds using Silicone rubber, but before that I had many failed attempts where the silicone didn't dry after 20 hours of waiting.


failed silicone meant that I had to clean every little piece, twice!
I decided then to produce each piece individually, as if one didn't dry, then only that piece would have to be cleaned. One piece moulds are where the whole piece is submerged in silicone, when dry, a small slit is cut into the silicone to remove the piece. This prevents the join lines found on most figures.


Here is two moulds for a leg and an arm, the slits down the side reduce marks on the finished pieces. unfortunately this way of working was not successful, as the silicone could not get into every cranny and produced pieces that were very poor, and alot of detail remained uncaptured, which is essential to the piece.


I used RESIN, a type of plastic for the limbs, I added black pigment for colour. Here is a mock assembled from the pieces I produced, sadly none of them came out good enough to use. I think it was because the resin I was using was quite cheap.

Details such as the nose, and fingers were not captured correctly in the moulding process, meaning all that time was wasted.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...